The Phone Nurse position provides patient services for patients who either need to be called by the clinic, or who initiate a call to the clinic related to their health care needs. This includes receiving a list of calls, reviewing charts, prioritizing call backs, routing calls to appropriate clinic staff for call back, and routing calls/requests to the appropriate clinic staff.
- Returns calls and/or portal messages, and/or routes calls and messages to appropriate clinic staff or physician to take appropriate action.
- Telephone duties will typically involve triaging patients with acute medical needs via telephone conversation, scheduling appropriate medical appointments for patients, and communicating necessary information to providers and other medical offices.
- Prioritizes callbacks based on need as determined by review of information given by patient, physician, or others.
- Reviews charts of patients requiring or requesting call back.
- Creates and sends correspondence to patients per Provider’s request regarding test results, diet or lifestyle changes.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited School of Nursing and State of Tennessee License are required.
- Minimum of 2 years as Registered Nurse or 4 years as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Experience in telephone triage, primary care, and/or pediatric is preferred.
- Experience in working in Family Medicine, Residency, Pediatrics, Public Health or a multilingual setting is preferred and strongly considered.
Special Skills & Knowledge
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications i.e., Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are strongly preferred.
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- Knowledgeable of pathophysiology.
- Must have knowledge of resources available to respond to needs of patients.
- Ability to provide direct patient care within the scope of one’s nursing qualifications and licensure.