The Well Specialist’s overall purpose is to provide quality care and education for children at The Well, Church Health’s pediatric prevention and wellness education program. The Specialist also provides guidance to Staff regarding daily tasks, policies and procedures, training to volunteers about The Well, and supervision of the department in the Manager’s or Supervisor’s absence by serving as Leader on Duty. Activities should address, but are not limited to, the six root causes focused on in the program: Physical Activity/Nutrition, Safety/Violence, and Body Image/Self-Esteem.
Please submit a letter of interest along with your resume
- Teaching children 6 weeks to 12 years old and individual/ group exploration activities involving topics such as nutrition, physical activity, self-esteem, body image, safety education, and violence prevention.
- Teaching children (ages 6 weeks – 12 years) in individual exploration and group teaching activities in The Well’s facilities and other environments; including implementation of curriculum and keeping children safe at all times.
- Planning appropriate programming, lessons and activities that are cornerstones of The Well’s prevention and wellness programming.
- Researching information and reviewing materials available for educating children in the areas of body, mind and spirit.
- Finding appropriate materials for use in The Well program based on the needs of our clients and currents trends in educational research including the information gathered to organize special events in The Well work area.
- Consult with The Well’s staff regarding lesson plans, schedules and promotional materials while providing guidance and teaching tips.
- Reviewing and revising staff work in cooperation with the Supervisor if needed.
- Collaborating with the Manager and Supervisor to update all schedules to make sure that there is appropriate coverage in the work area.
- Organizing paperwork and data on the children in The Well’s programs to keep staff abreast of any and all physical/medical issues children may have, as well as any medications they may take and/or any existing allergies.
- Communicating with community agencies, volunteers, schools, special interest groups and others with information about Church Health and The Well.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the following areas are well suited for this placement: Education, Child Development, Dance, Family Studies, Nutrition, Health Promotion, Health Sciences, Population Health, Exercise Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, or other related degree is required.
- Bilingual Preferred.
- Experience and training with children in health education, nutrition education, and cooking.
- Experience with a wide variety of ages providing direct service to children and communicating with their families preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year working directly with children.
Special Skills & Knowledge
- Must be able to communicate effectively by telephone and computer, attention to detail, strong computer and data entry skills, team orientated, willingness to learn, and a strong sense of professionalism.
- Knowledgeable about children’s development and appropriate activities to offer.
- Strong desires to work with children of all ages, backgrounds, races, religions, and abilities.
- Trained on different approaches and methods to teaching and learning.
- Well informed about issues that affect the growth, safety and health of children in body, mind and spirit.